CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Trading Places

I have always loved the story of Jonathon & David. Today it became even more special. In 1 Samuel 18:1-4 you can read where Jonathon made a covenant with David and sealed it by giving David his royal robes, his armor, and even his sword, bow and his belt. Now Jonathon was the heir to the throne . . . but he gave his attire to David. And in return he took David's . . . a simple cloak, which likely still reeked of sweat and sheep. To top it off this covenant was based on Jonathon's love for David, not on David's love. In essence Jonathon was saying, " I will become what you are, and you will become what I am, with the result that our souls are knit together as one."

Now, I could hardly contain myself because I had already read this:

Revelation 19:11-13 Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war. His eyes were like a flame of fire, and on His head were many crowns. He had a name written that no one knew except Himself. He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.

Did you catch that? He . . . Jesus . . . was wearing a robe dipped in blood! That was MY robe He was wearing. Wow! He traded places with ME just like Jonathon did with David. He took my stinking garments and gave me His royal attire. Weapons and all! And that's not all He traded places with me not because I wanted to but because HE wanted to. I love Him! Don't you just love Him?

Now as if that was not enough to just set my heart ablaze . . . get this . . . David might have experienced a moment of pride until He looked at Jonathon standing there in David's worn-out robe. So there you have it . . . the remedy for pride . . . just keep your eyes on the one that traded places with you.

Well, I think that my heart has been changed forever. To think that He traded places with Me. I should be wearing the worn-out clothes, and I should have hung on that cross. But see I did not have what it took to defeat death and the grave. So He traded places with me so that He could defeat death, and spend eternity with me. What love . . . I can't comprehend it at all . . . that He would trade places with me.

1 John 4:10
This is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.

I'll end with this post with these questions, only because I had to ask myself the same thing this morning.

What am I doing with the royal robe that He gave me?

Do I put it on everyday?

Or do I leave it hanging in the closet?

Am I using the weapons He gave me to live in victory?

And one more thing occurred to me . . . He traded places with ALL who sinned.
I know this because His word says:

John 3:16
"For God so love the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life."

He traded places whether we wanted Him to or not, and it is up to us to accept the gift and receive the promise of Heaven. I pray that you have done that. He is an awesome Savior. My life will never be the same since I trusted Him. If you have not trusted Him would you please consider it? Let me know if you make that choice. I would love to talk to you about it. He loves you enough to trade places with you, there is no greater love than that my friend.

2 comments:

Beverly said...

Thank you Lord for taking my place so that I could spend forever with you.
Thanks Regina for continuing to remind us of all the wonderful things God has done for us.

LynnSC said...

That really spoke to me as well. I think that we will have lots to talk about on Tuesday night.

I wrote in the margin of my workbook... Jesus put on my sin, so that I could wear his robe of righteousness. What a miracle... too much for me to comprehend. I do so love my Jesus.
Lynn